Board-Certified Wound Care for Lacerations, Minor Burns, & Broken Bones

Lacerations & Wound Care

A laceration is a cut in the skin. Some lacerations are superficial and can be managed with minor care. If you have a minor laceration, you can take these steps before calling or coming into Makana North Shore Urgent Care:
Wash the cut with mild soap and water.
Apply pressure with a clean cloth to stop the bleeding.
Put triple antibacterial ointment and a bandage over the wound.
Other lacerations may require evaluation and repair by a healthcare provider. Wounds are typically inspected for the presence of dirt or other foreign bodies as well as for injuries to important structures such as tendons, muscles, or joints. Injuries involving tendons can be serious and often require a specialist to repair. Deep wounds sometimes need to be closed in layers.
You can expect timely, professional care for your laceration at Makana North Shore Urgent Care. We’ll assess your wound, and, depending on the level of severity, we’ll apply the needed anesthetics, glue, staples, sutures, and the appropriate bandage at our emergency walk-in clinic in Princeville, HI.

Minor Burns

A burn, even a minor one, can cause a great amount of pain and also do lasting damage if left untreated. At Makana North Shore Urgent Care, we offer treatment for burns that is available to our patients when they need it. We offer immediate treatment for 1st and 2nd-degree burns from board-certified medical professionals to alleviate pain and discomfort and allow for a fast recovery.
If you have a burn, either from cooking, chemicals, the sun, or a fire, it’s important that you know when to get professional medical care. Burns range in severity from first degree to third degree, and treatment varies for each type.

First-Degree Burns

This is the least serious burn in which only the outer layer of skin is burned. First-degree burns can be caused by sunburn, scalding your skin with hot liquid, or by coming in contact with electricity. Although some first-degree burns can be treated at home, if the affected area shows any signs of infection or becomes swollen or painful, come into Makana North Shore Urgent Care in Princeville, HI.

Second-Degree Burns

A second-degree burn occurs when the skin has been burned through the first and second layers. This type of burn is very painful and causes swelling, redness, and blisters. A second-degree burn requires immediate medical attention.

Third-Degree Burns

When a burn affects the outer layer of skin, as well as deeper skin layers and the organs below the skin, it is classified as a third-degree burn. In this case, the skin will appear to be black and white and charred. Even though this burn may have less pain (because of the nerve damage), it is crucial that you go to a hospital for treatment.

Broken Bones

Fractured and broken bones always require immediate medical attention. Treatment depends on the location and the seriousness of the break. If you suspect you have a fracture, come into Makana North Shore Urgent Care as soon as possible.
Different types of injuries exert force on the bone in different ways, which can result in different types of breaks. While there are numerous types of broken bones, below are some of the most common.
Simple fracture: The bone breaks into two pieces.
Stress fracture: Repetitive motion causes a small crack in the bone.
Closed fracture: The skin remains intact despite a broken bone.
Open or compound fracture: A piece of bone protrudes through the skin.
Normally, broken bones of the hand, wrist, ankle, foot, or rib may be treated at Makana North Shore Urgent Care. Bone breaks in other areas of the body—multiple ribs, sternum, spine, skull, facial, pelvic, lumbar, and multiple body fractures—should be treated immediately at the nearest ER.
Our medical team will examine the break and order X-rays to determine the extent, type, and exact location of the break as well as the best treatment option and follow-up care. A fiberglass splint may be used to help immobilize the break and ensure proper healing.
To ease discomfort, you can take pain relievers. Depending on the severity of the break, you may use over the counter pain relievers (acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen) or may be prescribed a stronger medication.